Below are links with info on earning certifications:
- Grow with Google project management certification – inexpensive online program to help you learn more about the field. You can earn up to 100 education hours that apply toward PMI’s certifications as well.
- CAPM® certification information directly from PMI
- PMP® certification information directly from PMI
- See the free quizzes for Intro PM book where I have added new sample PMP questions.
- Note about PMP® exam changes as of January 2, 2021: The new exam is still based on the current PMBOK® Guide. Here’s a link to PMI’s site for info on exam changes. The exam content crossover map found from this link summarizes changes. Most of the new topics are in my current book (servant leadership, knowledge transfer, emotional intelligence, project methodologies, agile, etc.). Here’s another link to check for updates as well and a podcast from PMI on the new exam. Also note that PMI has created standard PMP exam materials and train the trainer courses for Authorized Training Partners.
- The new exam includes 180 questions, and you have 230 minutes to complete it. There are two 10-minute breaks for computer-based tests. Questions include multiple-choice, multiple reponse, matching, hostpot, and fill-in-the-blank.
- A new edition of my book will come out a few months after the new PMBOK® Guide is published, currently planned for early 2021.
Why get certification?
- PMP® certification is ranked #2 in Top Highest Paying Certification in 2021 (by Raktim Sharma, December 2020).
- PMP® certification holders earn 22 percent more than their non-certified peers. (Earning Power: Project Management Salary Survey—Eleventh Edition (2020).
- Note: If you don’t have enough experience, the CAPM can be a good stepping stone, but the PMP is much more valuable.
Sample PMP Exam Questions (Links checked July 2, 2021)
- PM PrepCast 120 free sample questions updated for the 2021 exam
- PM Challenge Questions
- PMI prototype questions (note the new types of questions like drag and drop, hot spot, and multiple answer multiple choice)
- Andrew Ramdayal’s 5 Practice Questions in 13 Minutes – great video with great advice on the new exam
- More links coming soon!
How to get 35 PM education hours
- College courses, continuing education, PMP exam preparation, and similar courses related to project management definitely count. Remember there is no time limit on when the courses were taken.
- A general course in leadership or management probably would not count. If there is a section of the course on project leadership or stakeholder management, for example, those hours should count.