Below are links with info on earning certifications:
- PMP® certification information directly from PMI
- Note about PMP exam changes December 2019: The new exam is still based on the current PMBOK® Guide. PMI’s 2019 PMP Exam Content Crossover Mapsummarizes the changes. Most of the new topics are in my current books (servant leadership, knowledge transfer, emotional intelligence, project methodologies, etc.). New editions of my books will come out when there is a new PMBOK® Guide, currently planned for September 2021
- CAPM® certification information directly from PMI
Why get certification?
- PMP is ranked 3rd in Global Knowledge list of 15 top-paying certifications for 2018 with an average salary of $114,473.
- “PMP certification holders earn 23 percent more than their non-certified peers.” (Project Management Salary Survey—10th Edition)
- “Of the 20.6 million jobs analyzed, Burning Glass found 2.8 million requiring a certificate. But only certain certificates were highly sought. Of the thousands of possible certificates, the same 200 came up again and again. The Project Management Professional (PMP)…[was] among those that topped the list.” Source: Goldie Blmenstyk, “When a Degree Is Just the Beginning,” The Chronicle of Higher Education, September 18, 2015.
- Note: If you don’t have enough experience, the CAPM can be a good stepping stone, but the PMP is much more valuable.
Sample PMP Exam Questions
PMP Mock Lite Exam (requires PMI member login to access free eReads and References, 50 questions)
Free Simulated Practice Test (accessed 2015)
- List of free PMP mock exams: Provides advice and links to several free practice exams.
- www.pmstudy.com: Provides a free sample PMP exam, including 200 questions you take online in 4 hours or less. You can also purchase additional practice exams or enroll in courses from this site.
- www.bestsamplequestions.com: Provides 160 free sample questions.
- http://www.oliverlehmann.com/pmp-self-test/75-free-questions.htm: Provides 75 free sample questions and links to many more sites with free sample questions, including YouTube video questions.
- Blog with links to top ten sites, including some of the above.
- PM Challenge Questions
- Mosaic site: Links to several resources
- And of course you can use the free quizzes that accompany my books.
How to get 35 PM education hours
College courses, continuing education, PMP exam preparation, and similar courses related to project management definitely count. Remember there is no time limit on when the courses were taken.
A general course in leadership or management probably would not count. If there is a section of the course on project leadership or stakeholder management, for example, those hours should count.
Online courses count. See this reference for examples of where to take some, such as Coursera and Alison. Some are free. Career Academy (www.careeracademy.com) is another source for courses that can count toward getting and maintaining your PMP. A 2016 ad on their site said you only pay $29 for an annual membership which provided access to many courses.
Articles related to certification: